Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Columbia River Gorge!


Today marks the 25th anniversary of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Act. As the Oregonian's editorial today points out, the law has both preserved the remarkable, fragile beauty of this national treasure, while simultaneously boosting local economy.

And there is no better place that I can think of to protect. I have lived life more fully in this 85 miles than I have anywhere else.

Just a few personal highlights of my Gorge experiences:

-My proposal to Emily in a harsh storm on the edge of Angel's Rest 
-Weekly night hikes in college (numbering in the low 100s I'd guess) with my best friends
-Many well spent days and nights at a family cabin by Bridge of the Gods
-Kayaking and fishing on Wauna Lake
-Exploring Eagle Creek with my brothers
-A dear friend's wedding on a wind whipped bluff overlooking Hood River
-Salmon fishing
-Bear chases
-Covering my body with Poison Ivy while free climbing Angel's Rest
-Foraging and eating lots of delicious natural foods
-Hiking to try and induce labor for our first kid
-Getaways from that first kid at Skamania Lodge

Many of my best memories are of the rocks, waterfalls, forests, and trails of this land.
I am profoundly and inexpressibly grateful for the preservation of the most wonderful place I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment