Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rocktober Alphabet: P is for The Pixies


Alt rock at its apogee, I can never get enough of the ubiquitous Pixies. Pioneering the soft/loud dynamics later heard in Nirvana's grunge, and much of indie rock, they are quirky, endearing, harsh, ferocious.

Much more popular in the UK and Europe than in the states, my first exposure to their music came from a returning traveler  from a European tour.

Black Francis' lyrics are an often bizarre stream of consciousness extravaganza, encompassing sea life, mind numbing parties, and biblical violence.

Here's a classic:


According to one Youtube.com user,

"This song makes me wanna strip naked, burst out of my window, free fall 28 floors, faceplant in the snow. make a snow angel mixed with my own blood, shiver from the cold, get hyperthermia, die, go to the pearly gates, say wazzup to Jesus, do our secret hand shake, look for buddah, have him reincarnate me into a frog, meet a princess, kiss her, turn into a prince, order my subject to bring me a computer, listen to this song again, and cry myself to sleep." (All misspellings sic).

This is an overstatement of the particular song's power, but the Pixies are awfully good, and were a full decade ahead of their times.

Or maybe their times were just a decade after the Pixies.

CONUNDRUM!

(Photo Credit)

No comments:

Post a Comment